[OM] Re: #233

Subject: [OM] Re: #233
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:48:28 +0100
> Another canal boat question:  Are these boats refurbished survivors of

> a prior era of commercial use or are new ones still being built today?

A mixture of both. Certainly there are new designs, and new boats. And
there are very old boats refurbished. I'm not sure if new boats are
still made in the very traditional styles, though. It would be very
expensive.

> Are there "Canal Signs" (instead of road signs) ?

Yes, but very few. The waterways are not that busy.

> What are these narrow boats powered by ?

Formerly horses on the towpath. Now almost invariably diesel engines.

Regards,

Simon