[OM] Re: Controlled experiment - includes flying, wife, digital, Ag Snoz

Subject: [OM] Re: Controlled experiment - includes flying, wife, digital, Ag Snozz
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
Chris B wrote:
> Gary, That sounded like a lot of fun, and responsibility.
> Well done for seeing it through and I am looking forward to
> seeing the results.

I saw SOME of the results.  <smile>  My wife appreciates having
the half of the house that were covered in drying fiber 8x10s
back again.  (over four days I printed around 500 pictures of
which about 100 were B&W enlargements)

I don't think Gary will mind my expounding on this a tiny bit.

The aerials were "challenging" to say the least. Not only was
there a haze that morning, but the x-ray damage (and bio-nuker)
caused at least a full-stop, if not two worth of "background
noise" and loss of latitude on the film.  One roll was worse
than the other, but both were damaged.

If you know my printing style, you know that I approach B&W
slightly different than I do color. It is my goal to get at
least a teeny tiny bit of black and white in the print,
somewhere. I believe that B&W is by it's very nature,
"Abstract". As such, you have to define the visual boundaries to
establish points of reference for the viewer.  I can count on
one hand the number of prints I've made where this didn't
happen.

Here I sit with a roll of aerials that are flatter than flat.
To get the high/low values I'd have to be punching Grade 5, and
with the amount of enlargement necessary and the enhanced grain
from the x-ray damage, that would yield golf-ball sized grain.
Not only that, but the lighting was changing and he had changed
filters which altered the color response on everything from
trees to the pink granite court house.  NOW he tells me it was
PINK!  Here I am trying to get two different aerials to match up
and they were taken with two different color filters!  If it was
white granite, they would have matched!  I've GOT to start
charging for test prints.  <grin>  It was a challenge to get the
contrast levels right without making the grain look like a
Berber Carpet.

So we have one particular frame picked out.  Nice.  I make a
print and, lo and behold, there is a vertical band in the photo
that is blurry.  Everything else is sharp.  Hmm?  I was a little
slow to catch on, but it was caused by the vibration from that
beautiful rotary engine.  It caught Gary mid-exposure as the
shutter slit was going past the film.  Fortunately the next
frame was ok.

It was a very cool project, and I'm thankful for Gary sending me
the business. As he will attest to, I do give discounts for big
projects.  Gary does good work and I really enjoyed being part
of this project.

Now, I just wonder about the stability of silver prints in an
argon atmosphere...

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com