[OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal

Subject: [OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:08:54 -0700

On Jul 19, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I think Walt was just emphasizing your point.

Oh, I know. I was just helping him emphasize my point. ;-)

> For the guy who thinks MP3's
> sound like real music an 8MP phone-cam probably makes real
> pictures.  It
> will be pretty tough to convince him he should schlepp around a 2
> pound
> wonderbrick.  It might work if the marketers can turn it into a status
> symbol but camera marketers have a long way to go.

Well, I think most of us grew up in Tupperware houses. It's not like
consumerism is new to us. It's just that we used to hang on to the
stuff for a while. Now it's all about what gadget is hot "this
season" and then the stuff ends up on eB@y. Nobody has the patience
to accumulate some nice glass and figure out how each lens best works
with what you do. They want one lens that zooms from fisheye to
1000mm and they want it in a package the size of a Chesterfield pack
and they want it to tell them when their diaper needs changing and
remind them when to change to Daylight Savings Time.

> Maybe MP3's do the job because the current generation has had their
> ear
> drums blown by pounding base by the time they're 13.  They probably
> literally can not hear the difference.  Maybe they can still see the
> difference with the camera but they're unlikely to pause long
> enough to
> check it out.

There was an issue of Stereophile a few months back where they were
testing the Mark Levinson stereo system in a new Lexus. The Levinson
factory rep was interviewed for the article and he said something
about how they had to exaggerate the bass a little because car stereo
shoppers expect that these days. I kept wondering why they didn't
voice the system flat and then pre-load EQ curves for "Ghetto" or
whatever, but apparently that's not even a concern anymore.

Kids these days would never understand the kind of stuff we went
through, though. I used to put a new album on and try to capture the
best performance of that album I could on a high-speed 3 3/4"-per-
second cassette deck running outboard dbx so I'd have a "perfect"
cassette of the album to listen to around the house. Nobody has the
patience for that kind of stuff anymore. Their entertainment can be
content-free as long as it's available on-demand and can be quickly
ripped into a portable device. I saw someone at school watching old
Survivor episodes on a portable video player a couple of months ago.
Little thing the size of an iPod with an LCD screen and he's
engrossed in a dumb reality series. On a related note, I saw this
synopsis for the new Mike Judge movie:

Private Joe Bowers, the definition of "average American", is selected
by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation
program and wakes up 1,000 years in the future. He discovers a
society so incredibly dumbed-down that he's easily the most
intelligent person alive.