[OM] Re: Zuiko 28/2 vs. 28/3.5 opinions

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 28/2 vs. 28/3.5 opinions
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:15:37 +0200
Hi, Paul and all.

>From: "Martinez, Paul" <Paul.Martinez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hello everybody, I'm new to the list.

Welcome!

>I want a 28mm Zuiko and really like the idea of a F/2.0 lens, but many of
>the opinions I see posted talk about the F/3.5 lens having better "pop" in
>use. I'd be using it mainly for landscapes from F5.6-11.

The short answer is... you can't go wrong with any of the 28mm Zuikos ;-)

More seriously, I've got both versions (f/2 and f/3.5), and find them
to be excellent performers. From my last test, the 28/3.5 @ F5.6
equals the quality of the 28/2 @ F4 -- that is, *outstanding*. Wide
open, the F3.5 impairs just a little; and the much faster F2 loses
clearly more, of course, but still within reason. However, if you
plan to use the lens in the F5.6-11 range, you're unlikely to find
notable differences between them.

>I know ther is also a F/2.8 version but I hear very little good
>comments about that one.

I had one of these, but sold it a while ago. I found mine to be a bit
below (less 'pop') against the F3.5 but was still a great performer.
The F2.8 is also one of the few Zuikos with f/22 minimum aperture --
nice if you like high speed films, but otherwise useless on this
focal length.

And now, the old SC vs. MC question... *all* of the F2 & F2.8 version
were MultiCoated (marked so or not), and *all* of the F3.5 were
SingleCoated (G.Zuiko). However, in my experience flare is *not* an
issue with the 28/3.5 -- can't say the same about the others!

Hope this helps,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>