[OM] Re: #225

Subject: [OM] Re: #225
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:40:45 +0100
The "ribs" are probably wing fences.  Swept-wing aircraft tend to
have too much span-wise flow at high angle of attack/low speed, and a
wing fence reduces this tendency.  Wing sweep was in its early days
with these aircraft and designers were still finding out stuff about
it.  You need to use swept wings to allow higher speeds, but the
aerodynamics are different from straight-wing aircraft.  If you look
at a modern swept-wing aircraft it will tend to use reducing angle of
incidence from wing root to tip to reduce the flow.  Now Gary
Edwards, who really knows about this stuff, can step in and correct me.

I don't know why, but the red bits are the rims of the air intakes.
They might have been painted red to indicate that it was a dangerous
place to be if the engine was running ...

Writing of danger, I saw the Typhoon practise his display at Fairford
on Friday.  Halfway through he executed a slow-speed descending turn
in front of crowd centre and bl**dy nearly didn't stop the descent in
time.  He completed the rest of his practice with a base of 2,000ft,
probably after direction by his supervisor on the ground ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.