[OM] Re: Wedding help!!

Subject: [OM] Re: Wedding help!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:29:54 -0400
AG Schnozz wrote:

> Always expose for the subject!  Regardless of what the
> background is, your always need to make sure the subject is
> taken care of.  You can do so with fill-flash to reduce the
> lighting ratio--but this might require some serious horsepower.
> In a Sunny-16 environment, it takes a pretty hefty
> flash--especially when distance is involved.

I agree with the Schnozz and should have addressed this point.  I don't
really know the setup in the courtyard but assume it was probably a
fairly large area.  It would be unlikely that even a fairly well
equipped pro could summon enough flash power to overpower the sun/shade
situation over a large area even if he had scoped out the situation
ahead of time.  If I had to I could probably summon 16 studio flash
units but the lighting setup would be so complex I don't think I'd ever
try it.

Fortunately, it sounded like the entire wedding party was in the shade.
  An exposure for the shade with some fill flash when possible is
probably the only alternative.  Shooting raw and post processing to
knock down the highlights (those not already blown) is about the best
you could do.  Best results would probably call for overexposing the
subject by a stop or so to minimize the problems with the highlights.
Risky business and one that would require some practice and preparation
to make sure you know the parameters of your equipment.

Chuck Norcutt