[OM] Wedding help!!

Subject: [OM] Wedding help!!
From: "Walter Tani" <taniw001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:53:57 -1000
Shot my first wedding yesterday (as an amateur in the crowd, not a pro).  I
tried to follow the pro as much as possible and not get in the way at the same
time, but didn't like his choice of lenses and equipment.  He used 35mm SLR all
day, never changed to medium format, and what looked to be rather plebian
lenses.

I wanted some nice bokeh, so used fast lenses most of the day, but the wedding
was in the mid morning in a hotel courtyard, which was in deep shadow, while
the face of the building behind the shoot was already in morning light; so
difficult light. The subject was in deep shadow all the time with a highlighted
background.

Questions:

1.  I think I should have switched to point metering under these conditions,
but I stayed in evaluative (over-all averaged metering) since I had a flash
unit on.  Mistake?

2.  I'm new to photography, just a few months into it; and VERY new to flash,
this is my first real outing with a flash unit, day or night.  I tried some
test shooting with flash around the house, and at the suggestion of a friend,
started with manual mode.  This didn't seem to work too well, as the exposure
requirements were changing so fast as they walked up the aisle of flowers...
the light was changing too quickly, so I changed to aperture priority so the
metering would be automatic.  I soon found that the lens I was using (85mm
f/1.2) was too fast for the flash to sync up at the lowest ISO, 100, so I had
to go up to around f5 and lost the dreamy bokeh I was looking for.  I shot a
few without flash, but upon review, these don't seem to work so well as the
ones with flash.  My question: when using flash in the day, do you folks
normally shoot in aperture priority? or manual?  This is for moving subjects
where you can't freeze the action.

Also, I found quickly that if I set the flash exposure compensation for correct
amount of flash when the subjects were far away, up the aisle, then by the time
they got closer to me, the flash exposure was way too high and they were
highlighted too much.  Argh!!  It takes several seconds to manipulate the
controls to get the FEC down as they move closer; but they were walking pretty
quick, so this was difficult and I missed a few shots.  How are you supposed to
handle this?? FEC bracket?

Thanks for any advice!

walt tani
honolulu