[OM] Re: Anybody looking for a cheap film scanner?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody looking for a cheap film scanner?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:38:36 -0400
Moose wrote:

>>Based on the USB 1.1 speed this is pretty likely new old stock which is
>>what Computer Geeks usually deals in.  However, I see that it's still
>>listed as a product by the manufacturer.
>><http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800afl.php>
>>

> Pretty scary page. Very limited specs and no views of the film handling
> bits at all. But most important, no spec on Dmax. Don't you think that
> if it was any good, it would be on the spec list?

The data is there.  Dmax is listed as 3.2 in text above the specs table.

Found these mixed reviews.  At least one likes the long film strip feed.
<http://www.epinions.com/pr-Scanners_Pacific_Image_PrimeFilm_1800AFL_Desktop_Film_Scanner_35_mm_PF1800AFL/display_~reviews>
Some seem to have mechanical problems and the software is nothing to
write home about.  Probably would benefit from VueScan which does
support it.

Your comment about buying a used 2700 dpi scanner is probably well taken
assuming you can get one in known good condition.  My Scanwit 2700s is
still working well but it doesn't get much usage.  I've seen a couple
reports in the last two weeks of people having trouble with the drive
motor burning brushes.  No replacements available and Benq (current name
of manufacturer) doesn't want to hear about it.

Do Nikon/Minolta/Canon still support their older 2700 dpi scanners?

Chuck Norcutt