[OM] Anybody looking for a cheap film scanner?

Subject: [OM] Anybody looking for a cheap film scanner?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:00:08 -0400
Just spotted notice of this sale in the morning mail.
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=F18000&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-newarrivals_html-_-15_jul_2005-_-naproduct>

I have no idea how well this thing performs but I see that it doesn't
cost very much and seems to have the unusual ability to take uncut 35mm
film as well as slides.

The scan resolution only yields a 4MP image but if all you've got is a
low end flat bed scanner this might be a better solution at not much
expense.

Based on the USB 1.1 speed this is pretty likely new old stock which is
what Computer Geeks usually deals in.  However, I see that it's still
listed as a product by the manufacturer.
<http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800afl.php>
USB 1.1 is pretty slow but probably plenty fast enough to keep up with
the data rate coming off the scanner.

No connection here other than being a happy customer of Computer Geeks
for a goodly number of years.  I've only bought two things from them
that I wasn't happy with and they replaced or accepted return with no
questions asked.

I see that the product is supported by VueScan after installing another
software product from Pacific Image Electronics who makes the scanner.
<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#pie>

Chuck Norcutt