[OM] Longevity of electronic media (E-1 related stuff)

Subject: [OM] Longevity of electronic media (E-1 related stuff)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:32:59 +1200
Hi all,

Although I can now save my digital images onto CD myself, at the moment I
also get them burned onto CD at my local Photo store, since that also adds
Agfa viewing software (latest version turns out to be not friendly with my old
machine however).  Also they have brought the cost down to 66% of cost 3
weeks go.

And the lady who served me said "Easy, wasn't it"  - they had new terminals
and software since my last visit, and she had guided the use..

I remarked that I am still also using film as it seems more permanent and I
liked to see the negatives etc.

Her response was that since CDs (dye-burned, not pressed CDs) are
essentially unproven, they should be backed up every 5 years; and here's a
thought; she said quite matter-of-factly, store them flat or the pictures will
slide off.

So I wonder if there is any proven tendency for the dye layer to migrate under
the force of gravity?

If it did, CD readers would have their work cut out to make any sense of the
data.

Brian