[OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole

Subject: [OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:55:07 +0100
You could try the Leki Photo stick Chuck.  I use it when I am walking
in the hills, but it is also my monopod for the airlines as I can
pack it in my hold luggage and there is no danger of its being
mistaken as an offensive weapon.  It has a tripod screw in the top
under a wooden knob.  I have replaced this with the Billingham
"Stalker Head" which serves as a rest for most lenses.  If I am
really serious about stability I use the "Rubberneck" (a flexible
connection between camera and support) or the ball and cup which was
the original setup for Camcane.  Camcane is marketed by Billingham
and I use one as a monopod when not in ruggen terrain; the fittings
are for Camcane, but will fit anything with a tripod screw.

A tinpot airline called RyanAir lost my last Camcane when they
insisted on putting it in the hold at the last minute on a flight
from Knock to London Stansted.  I never saw it again.  I swore never
to fly RyanAir after my last ghastly experience with them ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.