[OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole

Subject: [OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:06:18 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>I also note that adding the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt Monopod
>Head suggested by Moose almost doubles the weight.

I see your point. a head does add some weight. I've got a small, lighter
ball head that's fine for short lenses, but the 3232 is much more solid
and secure with the longer lenses I so often use. Actually, though, a
lighter head would be fine with the 300D and 28-300 Di. I just realized
I haven't used the 300D with a monopod. I guess the Velbon 343e tripod
has replaced monopods for a lot of my use.

>The stick weighs 11 oz.

Leki is the same.

>and the head weighs 9.5 oz.

Huh? I just weighed mine - 8 oz. Not a big difference, but why different?

>I just checked my current Manfrotto monopod with quick release ball head
>attached and it checks in at 40 oz.

Wow! Tripod company monopods do tend to be heavier, but my Velbon is
only 17 oz. Is your weight mostly head (tripod, that is)? The Velbon
343e tripod, with its small but usable head, only weighs 32 oz.  With
the bigger Velbon head, it would still weigh less than your Manfrotto
monopod/head setup.

Another head option is the magnesium Velbon PH-253 ball head. Sturdy
enough for pretty much anything I would use on a monopod, smooth action
and 6 oz. Not quick release, but has a big thumb screw that makes
mounting a camera quick and easy. Relatively cheap, too.

Moose