[OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Gary Teller wrote:

> In my frustration my brain took leave of my head while I was trying to
> figure this out.  I thought removing the rewind crank housing and the black
> plastic part beneath it that surrounds the spindle would perhaps give me
> another angle of attack.  I began by attempting to remove the small screw
> that rests beneath the fold out crank.  As soon as I broke it off my brain
> returned and reminded me that I'd seen a posting some time ago from a list
> member cautioning another member not to try removing this screw.  The brain
> then told the stomach to begin pumping more acid so as to cause immediate
> heartburn.  What exactly is the purpose of this screw and its head that I
> broke off?  How will its being broken affect the function of the rewind
> crank and crank housing?

Ooops, shouldn't have done that :-)  No real harm done, the screw is only
there to level off the lever when it's in the closed position.  It likely
sits very low in the well now without the screw head.  There are actually a
series of screw heads which can be substituted to provide different amounts
of "lift" to the lever.

> I just want my roll of film.  Any and all suggestions other than using
> brute force to pry the door off are needed and welcomed.

Simplest way, lift the leatherette around the latch mechanism and unscrew
the two screws holding down the latch cover plate.  Remove the plate and
push up on the latch mechanism.  Be careful not to lose any of the small
parts.  See the parts diagram on my web site if you need diagrams of how
it all fits together.  http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware
                                        -mark