[OM] Re: Zuiko shift lenses on E-?

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko shift lenses on E-?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:50:35 -0500
At 02:31 PM 6/24/2005 +1000, you wrote:

>Has anyone on the list tried either of the Zuiko shift lenses on an E-1,
>E-300 (or a Canon xxxD) ?
>
>...Wayne

Here's a comparison set of images:

http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/day44.html

You'll see a definite shift effect with the 24/3.5 on the E-1, but at
=48mm, it's not dramatic.  I certainly wouldn't spend $2K for one of these
in anticipation of using it on an E-something.  On a Canyon, the effect
would be closer to a 35 shift.  Maybe that's a better deal.

Shifting the lens wildly altered metering.  This lens might be best to work
with strictly in manual mode.  Perhaps it's better in spot or CW mode (I
used ESP).

The shift's manual stopdown button is not really useful because with Zuikos
on the E-1 one already opens up to focus and stops down on the lens to
shoot.  No reason not to keep the same drill.

I thought the overall image was a little soft.  You won't detect that too
much in the web images, but the full-size image in PS lacked the crispness
of the DZ 14-54 and certain other Zuikos.  I am suspicious that this
relates to the size and speed of the glass.  The bigger, faster film lenses
may somehow "cover" the sensor better.  Also f8, the aperture I used, might
not be ideal with the E-1.

Must play with it a bit more.

Joel W.