[OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible

Subject: [OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:58:26 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 03:00 AM

> R. Jackson wrote:
>
> > Amen. My first experience with that was in Massachusetts
> > back in '90.
> > I was driving up to Buffalo and a week or two later I got
> > a ticket in the mail from some town in MA that I'd apparently
> > blazed through.
> > Something about that whole process gets under my skin.
>
> Just be grateful you don't live in the UK. Thanks to our
> revenue-obsessed government, this little island harbours 70% of the
> world's speed cameras. And as a result deaths on the roads are
> increasing.

When the Liberals [read right of centre conservatives] were first re-elected
in British Columbia a few years ago, the VERY first item on their agenda was
abolishing photo radar. The costs of running the system were shown to be far
in excess of the revenues generated. The wide spread availability and use of
in-car police radar detectors [all quite legal] kept the incidence of
speeding offences down and the police were kept busy on more pressing
issues. A win-win for everyone.

jh