[OM] Re: K-M Dimage Scan Dual IV users here? or Scan Elite II

Subject: [OM] Re: K-M Dimage Scan Dual IV users here? or Scan Elite II
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:34:38 -0300
On 6/20/05, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400.  My Nikon-nut son has a
> Nikon 4000 something or other.  I got tired of his mouth, which, being a chip
> off the old block, he tends to run, so we had a scanner contest a few months
> back, each scanning a dozen of the same slides and a dozen of the same
> negatives.  Now he wants my scanner; I don't want his.  The only areas where
> the Minolta 5400 was noticeably better than the Nikon were in detail,
> sharpness, contrast, color, and dymanic range.  Otherwise, about the only
> difference was that, yeah, the files from the Nikon were smaller.  :-)

Thanks Walt,

I believe that Nikon has made improvements with the 5000 so that might
level things out a bit. Granted, you could buy 2-3 5400 II's for the
same price. The big advantage I see with the 5000 is that you can get
a bulk feeder (for close to the price of another 5400 II) and bulk
scan up to 50 slides. Okay, I looked it up and I'm exaggerating a bit,
a 5000 with the bulk feeder is about $2000 CAD while the 5400 II is
about $800 CAD.

Moose had suggested the Canon 9950F as an option. It seems to have
good bulk options (can handle 5 strips of 6 frames for 35mm at once)
and would also handle MF and 4x5 for me. So I'm starting to look
seriously at that but suspect that the 5000 or 5400 II would do better
with 35mm scanning. However, I'm also realising that I could probably
get the 9950F and a 5400 II for less than the 5000 without the feeder,
that could be a good option for getting me the best of both worlds,
I'd have good bulk scanning ability for proofing and my website and
could use the 5400 for higher quality individual scans as needed plus
have the versatility of scanning the MF and 4x5 stuff I shoot (which I
wouldn't have if I just got the 5000). As well, I'd have the option to
get the 9950 first and see if I really felt I was missing out on
quality for the 35mm stuff.