[OM] Re: Attempt at Classic B&W's [was: An English apology !]

Subject: [OM] Re: Attempt at Classic B&W's [was: An English apology !]
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:32:19 -0500
Joel, Chris and others:
A belated thanks for the remarks.  As soon as I saw the last one dancing
(father ??? with small daughter) it seemed to capture, in a split second,
so much of what I was seeing at the time, in a quite memorable way.

Joel,
It's comforting to know others did insane things playing with spent Press
25's.  I got a few 2nd degree burns picking them up just a little too
quickly to listen to the crackling sound they made as they cooled (for me
they were my father's) . . . and such fond memories of not being able to
see anything but colored spots for a while if I had been one of its victims
when it was fired.  When one sees old press photos of people being besieged
by the "Jimmy Olson's" and shielding themselves with coats or anything else
handy, it wasn't to hide their faces (might have been a secondary motive),
it was primarily to keep from being completely blinded for tens of seconds
by the flashbulbs they used.

I try to get one of the cake with some people admiring it, especially some
kids who look like they're tempted to taste test it with a finger or two .
. . for me, it brings it to life.  Just the whole cake alone seems so much
like an orphaned and cold still-life . . . the top decoration works much
better for that and is often one of several that can be used as a
"capstone" . . . the last photo in the album.

Wish I had visualized the bride profile better . . . didn't "see" the shrub
in the distance when I saw her, spun around and snagged it . . . but
certainly saw it in the print. [sigh]

Thanks,
-- John Lind