[OM] Re: An English apology !

Subject: [OM] Re: An English apology !
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:16:40 -0400

> Could one of our Canadian members please explain what
> the "tounge you insert into your cheek" is ? I have
> this mental image of Bob with a small enamelled Maple
> Leaf as a piercing through the side of his cheek.

Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I must pass along to our
international friends that Occupied Canada is the state of Maine, a part of
the USA. It's the state that pokes way up "into" Quebec and New Brunswick.
As a transplant here in Maine I'm not altogether up on my local history, but
I believe the international boundary was set quite a while ago, and
protruded a bit farther into, ah, Canadian territory than our good friends
to the north had hoped. Either than or they duped us and we got a bite when
we should have got more. Also, "tongue in cheek" means kidding, a feeble
attempt at humor, not serious. Calling the American state of Maine "Occupied
Canada" is a tongue-in-cheek expression, though Canadian nationalists might
not see it that way. (In the far distant background you may hear more hoots
of laughter from some of our Canadian friends who just read the words
Canadian and nationalist used together. I used that term once on a visit to
New Brunswick and had everyone at the dinner table rolling on the floor. We
may speak the same language, but we are an oh-so-different people.)

--Bob, hoping he's cleared it all up, but fearing he's muddied the waters
further