[OM] OM1 foam blues :-(

Subject: [OM] OM1 foam blues :-(
From: "John Nelson" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:33:29 +0100
I was looking at my late father's OM-1 today and happened to notice that the
dreaded foam breakdown appears to have begun. Curiously, it wasn't visibly
under way about six months ago, but it certainly is now -- the paint along
the upper rear edge of the back is starting to bubble and there's a small
amount of visible corrosion. Evidently that foam (or the adhesive) is rather
nasty stuff when it starts to decompose.

Is there a consensus about whether a back can be satisfactorily refinished,
or is the best course of action to change the back? If so, are replacements
still available? The camera is in very good condition otherwise, and for
obvious sentimental reasons I'd like to keep it that way.

--

John Nelson
Crew Green Consulting Ltd

www.crew-green.com