[OM] Re: Ree: Re: An English apology !

Subject: [OM] Re: Ree: Re: An English apology !
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:08:48 +1200
Joel wrote

> Quoting Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx>:
>
> > Like him, I want to be fair to both the bad and the ugly.
> >  Anyway, y'all prolly won't be hearing much from me for a
> > while.  I'm going to need a day or two to evaluate and
> > figure out this E-1 thing that's due here in a couple of
> > hours.  Carry on and keep up the good work while I am
> > otherwise occupied.  :-)
> >
> > Walt, hoping not to miss anything really nasty
>
> In my first year of graduate school I told an old professor
> friend from college -- one of these old teachers that knew
> everything and was insignificant in the scheme of higher
> education except that he was a magnificent teacher and
> shaped young people at that critical moment of their
> awakening maturity -- that I was now reading through the
> works of Sir Philip Sidney.  He said, "I envy you the
> pleasure of what you are about to discover."
>
> I hope relating that story is relevant, Walt.
>
> Joel W.

He was very different from the rotten old s**t I had as a chemistry / physics
master in my 3rd year at High School. 5th form. The main event of the year
was to pass the School Certificate exam. Without passing that exam, no
further onward progress was possible in the high school system. It was run
so that 50% of the examinees passed, and 50% failed.

He told me in front of the class "Swale, if you pass School Cert., it will be
an
injustice to the system".

Little did he know that later my Mother told me that if I didn't pass, I'd be
sent to work on a dairy farm. Me; from a nice clean sheep and cropping farm.
I'd seen dairy farms and was not favourably impressed with the calf-deep
mud, gallons of S**t, the smell, and the unrelenting monotony of the work.

I did 3 weeks work, and passed 214/400 (4 subjects passed in 5, which was
enough). I'm not normally vindictive, but I was prepared to make an exception
with him. I found out too late to tell him what I'd later achieved; I
discovered
he had lived 10 years ago close to where I now live; then passed on.

Maybe just as well.   Brian