[OM] Re: Good K64, butchered XP2

Subject: [OM] Re: Good K64, butchered XP2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:18:41 -0700
Andreas Pirner wrote:

>Moose wrote:
>
>>Earl Dunbar wrote:
>>

>>> <>I ordered develop only and high res scan... "16-base" scans,
>>> whatever that means.
>>
>>That should mean that the full dynamic range of the scanner, probably 14
>>bit per color per pixel, is delivered to you. Because of the way
>>computers work in bytes, if you don't go to some trouble, it is
>>delivered in two byte chunks, 16 bits, per color per pixel.
>>

>Sorry, Moose. You are wrong with this.
>
>16-base is ONLY reffering to resolution, that is pixel size of the scans. A
>quick googling revealed
><http://www.plumdigital.com/2_datasheets/pcdinfo.html> giving some overview to
>16-base, 64-base and
>other bases. Kodak defined those when starting their PhotoCD thing.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that Kodak had, once again, defined
something in a proprietory way that defied common understanding. Nothing
like obfuscation with nomenclature that requires one to memorize a table
for it to make any sense to keep the customer off balance. I remember
looking at Kodak's table of available resolutions, but I forgot the
goofy nomenclature.

Aren't PhotoCDs, with their proprietary format, a thing of the past by
now? Scans I've priced or bought in the last few years have simply been
defined by pixel size, bit depth and format and came as standard files
on CDs

Moose