[OM] Re: Zuiko 200/4.0

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 200/4.0
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:29:21 -0400
orava@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have wondered what is todays situation concerning zuiko 200/4.0 markets. I
> haven't seen those for sale for a long time. Could you give me some kind of
> hint on what is a "normal" price for that lens?
>
> And also: Are there differences on the performance between different serial
> numbers on this lens?

Did you read Gary Reese's tests at the link I sent you earlier?
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

There is probably a difference in performance between single and
multi-coated versions.  However, the biggest performance item for the
200 f/4 is taking all possible steps to reduce vibration.  For some
reason the 200/4 seems to be especially sensitive to vibration from the
mirror, shutter and aperture mechanism.  It is capable of excellent
photos on a tripod but only if the camera's vibrations are damped.

Using mirror lockup helps but that only helps with mirror slap.  Other
sources of vibration are the shutter and aperture mechanism.  The later
model cameras such as the OM-2s and OM-4 incorporate mirror and aperture
pre-fire in the self-timer which will reduce these sources.  Further
dampening requires supporting the lens as Gary did with the Bogen
telephoto support under the lens or else something pressing down on the
camera/lens such as a beanbag or your hands.  Olympus's official
recommendations when using a tripod is to forego the cable release and
press firmly down on top of the camera with both hands while using a
fingertip to release the shutter.  Flesh is a very good vibration damper.

Chuck Norcutt