[OM] Re: Y'all

Subject: [OM] Re: Y'all
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:25:00 -0500
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:57:34 -0400, Stephen Troy wrote:

>At 08:30 PM 06/06/2005 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>>Actually, "Y'all" is never used to address an individual.  It's a lesson
>>  my southern raised daughter continues to try and impress upon her
>>Yankee raised father... who makes this error all the time despite her
>>efforts at reforming me.
>>
>>Chuck Norcutt

>Based on many trips to Tennessee and Kentucky, I would beg to differ.
>Maybe it's different in the deep, deep south.

Having spent my entire life in the north end of the Delta and Tennessee, and
being a bona fide graduate of "The University of the South", I can assure you
that y'all is plural, and using it to refer to an
individual is a clear signal that you're either not from here, or you're trying
too hard. FWIW, my Mississippi girl bride agrees wholeheartedly.

So if'n y'all wonts to be fittin' in down heah, y'all beter'd be savin' the
y'all for times when y'all are commencin to refer to more'n one of us'n.
Elsewise, we might jes up and assume y'all ain't from heah.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company