[OM] Re: sign of the times

Subject: [OM] Re: sign of the times
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:44:50 +0100 (BST)

> James, thank you for sharing your direct experience of the system
> there.  Glad to hear you are feeling more sane these days!

hey!
I did not say I felt more sane these days!
*wibble* *wibble* *pling* *pling*

the basic deal in Japan appeared to be
men: work long hours and get high pay, respect and a company flat.
women: low paid, no power, short working hours live with parents
system: no support, no pension, no child support etc.

so men have no time to look after a flat, baby, cook, clean etc.
women have time to do things but no money. So relationships are for
convenience. Hense the amount and different levels of prositution and
mistresses because the realatinoship with the wife is often more of a
child and house minder! When I went shopping even for clothes the sales
people only talked to the girl friend because it was assumed I was too
busy to actually think about what I wanted to buy/wear. Simularly cold
selling via phone. As soon as they hear a means voice they ask to speak to
the partner. Often the comapny pays the mans wages straight into the
partners bank account and she gives him a living allowence. So in reality
olthough women have little power in the work force. They spend the money.
hense look into any trendy coffee shop and see the women woith expensive
clothes buying expsnsive teas etc... the men - they are still working. One
day I went to work on a saturday to use the comany gym.. all the managers
where still working. some of the managers live many hours away from their
wives and only see their wife and children once a month!. Its an amazing
place to work!
James