[OM] Re: Pelang fisheye?

Subject: [OM] Re: Pelang fisheye?
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:53:12 +1000

> > Anybody seen this one before?
> > http://www.tradera.com/auction/aid_14808478
> >
> > If so, how does it perform etc etc?
> >

> Johan,
>
> I have one of these in Nikon mount.
> For the price I think it's good value.
> The images are reasonably sharp, however there seems to be
> one problem with the design or construction of this lens - at
> the extreme edge of the image circle you tend to get
> reflection/flare created by whatever is at the opposite side
> of the frame.  If you wanted to use the lens for VR work you
> would probably be best to allow more overlap than you might
> use with the Zuiko for example.
>
> I will post some links to some images later today for you to look at.

Here's an image which demonstrates this lens's weaknesses pretty well
(warning 1.4Mbyte file):

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/images/cn35-817-17-a.jpg

You can see the flare at the bottom of the frame from the bright sky.  Note
also that on a 35mm frame it's not exactly a circular image, a small amount
is cropped from the top & bottom (evidently the lens was originally designed
for some strange Russian camera which had film the full width of standard
35mm but without the sprocket holes).

I also seem to recall that the OM adapter has glass in it to achieve
infinity focus, this may change the amount of cropping you would see on an
OM.

...Wayne

PS:     You can see how good this lens is for portraiture !