[OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Capitalism...yuck

Never made sense to me, but so far none of the regimes I've lived through
did...:(  as I am "middle of the road" type of guy, most of the time...:)

Boris

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:00:23 -0600

From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>

Walt Wayman wrote:

> Actually, I really don't even have a DVD burner, not yet -- ergo,

>the S-VHS -- but I'm looking and in the market for one.  Anybody

>have any suggestions?  I want one that'll let me make DVDs of TIFFs

>and also copy video, S-VHS tape and "live," maybe even in both NTSB

>and PAL.  I do have a couple of friends in third-world countries.

 Well, if you're looking at putting a burner in a PC, pretty much any

of the current ones will do the trick -- as ever, they keep on getting

faster and cheaper, but they're amazingly cheap now, all things

considered [1]. I got the BenQ one 16xdual-layer one and it's been fine so far.

TV capture, the ASUS TV FM card is cheap and will capture s-video with

fairly respectable quality. I think the Hauppage ones are better but

substantially more expensive. Or you could just get one of the ATI

All-In-Wonder cards if you want 3d acceleration as well.

 -- dan

[1] it's one of the things that boggles me about the price of consumer

goods -- DVD burner, containing amazingly precise mechanics, a tiny

laser reader and writer, stepper motors, electronics, who knows what else,

$69.99. Glasses frames, made of a bit of bent metal and two hinges;

$250.. Something seems very wrong with that, somehow.