[OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:55:28 +0000
I'm certainly no expert on copyright law, but I'm not so sure there would be
any piracy involved here.  Consider these hypothetical situations:

I have HBO; my next-door neighbor, Andrew, doesn't, so I invite him over on
Sunday nights to sit with me, drink beer and watch Deadwood.  No piracy here.

One Sunday night Andrew can't make it, so on Monday night I invite him over to
watch the tape I legally made for my own use of Sunday's Deadwood episode.  No
piracy here, is there?

But suppose I've got other plans Monday evening, and instead of inviting Andrew
over to watch the tape of Sunday's Deadwood episode, I let him borrow it to
watch in his own home.  Any piracy here?

Now, just because Andrew is not next door but is 12,473.5 miles away, if I send
him, without charge, a tape of last Sunday's Deadwood episode, does that amount
to piracy?

I think I would have to make him pay for it, whether he's 100 feet or 12,473.5
miles away, in order for it to be illegal.  Of course, I'm sure some
entertainment industry lawyer could make it sound like I'm Al Capone and John
Dillinger all rolled into one and single-handedly responsible for unemployed
actors starving on the street corners of Beverly Hills.  Been there; heard that
kind of lawyerly crap.

Besides, with our over-regulated, over-lawyered society, it's all but
impossible to get through a day without committing at least a couple of
so-called crimes.  I know I do, and I usually enjoy each and every illegal act
immensely.  :-)

Walt, still fighting the losing battle for freedom

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>