[OM] Re: More E-thing lens questions

Subject: [OM] Re: More E-thing lens questions
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Does the E series have suspension? If not, I'd love to know
> what it  stands for. Programmed, Aperture, Shutter, Manual?
> If so, why is that bad? Is there a better way to choose
> between modes?

Well, the OM bodies have shock absorbers to control mirror-slap
and the curtains occasionally need brake-jobs...

PASM usually stands for Program mode, Aperture Priority mode,
Shutter Priority mode and Manual mode.  There are variations on
the naming scheme, usually with C*non with Tv, etc.  The problem
with PASM is that it forces control of the shutter speeds and
apertures to a multifunction knobby.

The alternative way is to place an "Auto" position on the
aperture ring and another "Auto" position on the shutter-speed
dial.  Nikon used to do this. Many of your medium-format sytems
do this and the Leica wannabe DRangefinder does this.   And
let's not forget the control transition in the Nikon F4 vs F5.

The fact is, 90% of us spend 90% of our time in only one mode
anyway.

I've been using PASM for about a dozen years now and still
dislike it.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com