[OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2

Subject: [OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:58:39 -0400
It's a triviality.  What percentage of the surface area of that element
do you suppose is taken up by that dust spec.  1/100 of 1 percent?
1/1000 of 1 percent?  The only thing the dust spec does is cause a tiny
amount of blocked light and a tiny amount of diffraction all based on
the area of the dust spec and the linear length of its edges.  Now
compare that to the 30 or 40% obstruction by the secondary mirror of a
typical catadioptric mirror lens.  You ain't got no problem.

Go take pictures and never fret about dust again.  Even lots of dust.

Chuck Norcutt