[OM] Re: Yugo with a V8 engine

Subject: [OM] Re: Yugo with a V8 engine
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:09:50 -0500
At 09:49 AM 5/27/2005, AG Schnozz wrote:
>Yesterday I had the pleasure of checking out the new DRebel 350.  I don't
>mean to be picky, but that is the chintziest piece of garbage I've seen
>since the Yugo hit the American streets.

See my earlier "rant" about the goals and strategies of the retail
manufacturers (regarding Olympus Down Under and the OM lens adapter).  Does
any any of the "bullet list" fit this?

Ummmm . . . I just thought of another bullet for the list:
* Provide only those "accessories" to make it functional OOTB and make them
as cheaply as possible to strongly encourage "upgrade" to accessories to
replace them.  (With cameras, the batteries and memory [for digital], the
built-in flash and the bundled lens all come to mind.)

Durability is not a goal; avoidance of being classified as "Durable Goods"
is a goal (related to U.S. law and longevity of support requirements) . . .
as is shortening product lifespan and the trajectories of product life-cycles.

-- John Lind