[OM] Re: Suggestions needed for a photo copying effort

Subject: [OM] Re: Suggestions needed for a photo copying effort
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:58:34 -0500
At 03:01 PM 5/15/2005, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>Apart from using a flatbed scanner I haven't attempted to copy anything
>in a long, long time.  A friend does it fairly frequently and (if she
>can) hangs the item on the wall with a flash unit on either side at 45
>degrees away from the wall.  She uses her Canon 10D for image capture.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

That's how I've done it . . . although not with something that small.

Two monolights, with strobe tubes same height as middle of work, one on
each side at 45 degrees to the work and aimed with bowl reflectors (no
diffusers) toward the dead center of the work.  The lights are 6 to 10 feet
from the work . . . so that their lighting spread across the work doesn't
have much falloff from differences in distance from any point in the work
to the light sources.  Camera is, of course, on tripod, elevated to middle
of work and aimed dead center at 90 degrees to the work.  Distance of
camera from the work depends on lens being used and size of work.  Used a
tape measure to get the heights of lights and camera same as height of work
(presuming it's flat on a wall and not on an easel . . . for that I've used
a string to check if camera is aimed orthogonal to the work).  I suggest
using a longer lens . . . I've used an 85mm and 135mm in the past to get
some standoff distance, the latter (longer) one being better, to keep
perspective from compressing the edges and corners.

-- John Lind