[OM] Re: Epson R1800

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson R1800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:24:03 -0700
Barry B. Bean wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:37:13 -0700 (PDT), AG Schnozz wrote:
>

>>I agree on this. Ilford Galerie papers are awesome. I prefer the
>>"classic" version for the longevity as well as a slight increase
>>in saturation. With my Canon printer, I'm achieving image depth
>>about the same as with Ilfochromes.
>>

>I did notice, however, that it doesn't seem very archival (10-30yrs). is there
>anything with a similar appearance that could be considered archival?

You and the Schnozz have very different paper needs in the area of
longevity. His Canon has many great qualities. The Canon inks, however,
require some care, correct paper choices and mounting techniques, to
avoid rapid fading. The Gallerie Classic papers are designed for that
kind of ink. The surface sucks the ink in and seals it against the air
contaminants that cause the primary fading problem.

Your printer has pigment inks that are inherently far more resistant to
fading than dye based inks. The Gallerie Smooth papers are desgned for
those kind of inks. The Epson data for your Ultrachrome High-Gloss inks
isn't available for all their papers yet, but the lowest test result so
far is 64 years and the longest is "Over 150 years". I'm sure the
longevity on Gallerie Smooth paper will also be very long. Proper
mount/framing will assure the maximum longevity.

Look at the manufacturer's sites, they have a fair amount of info about
paper/printer compatability and ink longevity.

Moose