[OM] Subject: Re: eSIF availability

Subject: [OM] Subject: Re: eSIF availability
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:13:22 -0700
A quick unscientific look in failing light through some different bodies:

The 1-10 is grainy as Skip mentions.
The Beattie equivalent of the 1-10 is brighter, but still grainy.
The Beattie equivalent of the 1-4 (all matt, large center clear area) was
the best of the 3
I had mounted in bodies for this test.

B & H photo is still selling Beattie screens for the OM, but the prices just
shot up so be
Ready with the paddles when you need to restart the heart.

Jay

My $.02.

The 1-8 will give the nicest image.  It's a very fine, plain groundglass
screen.  I used one for astrophotography and for my Tamron 500/8 for many
years.  They show up occasionally, especially if you ask the list from
time-to-time.

The 1-4 or 1-10, which are the same screen with/without the gridlines, will
also work, but it's pretty grainy.

A 2-4 or Beattie Intescreen (sp?) are superb options, with their
all-groundglass, high-brigtness images.  They're usually pretty expensive
though, if you can find one.  I think Maxwell Precision Options also makes
a nice bright screen, but he wants an arm and a leg for his stuff.

For the used screens, try Midwest Photo Exchange, KEH, MVS in L.A.,
Ffordes, Ritz Collectibles.

Skip