[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - I

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - I
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:31:01 -0700
John Hudson wrote:

> <>A third question comes to my mind:
>
> Are Kiron lenses, and in particular the 28-210, comparable in optical
> performance quality to Tamron 28-300 lenses?

I don't really know in any 'test' sense. The Kiron certainly has a good
rep, and I've been happy with results from it. When making their own
brand, Kino Optical, who made lots of lenses for other brands, only made
the top line lenses, generally priced above any other third party
makers. If I had to pare down to only one macro lens, it would probably
be the Kiron 105/2.8. The Kiron is MUCH bigger and heavier than the
Tamron, reflecting the difference in technology many years apart.

I should make it clear that these are not meant as definitive tests. I
was going off on a birthday trip for my SO. I had a couple of possible
TOPE 22 shots, but nothing I really liked and Olaf extended the shooting
period to cover the trip. I had just loaded an OM-4 with a roll of Agfa
Vista 200, my first, to try it out, as I like the results Graham gets
with it.

On the spur of the moment, I decided to take both film and digital SLRs,
partly because I don't have a real wide angle lens for the 300D and
partly just to compare shooting with both. Since I was taking two
systems on a trip primarily for social enjoyment with Carol Anne, I
intentionally limited the number of lenses. I took the Kiron 28-210mm
and Viv S1 19-35mm for the OM-4 and Can*n 24-85mm and Tamron 28-300mm
for the 300D. With adapter, I could also use the 19-35mm on the 300D,
and did.

I then scanned the film as I do for any film I shoot. So although the
test isn't terribly scientific, as a "Personal" test, it is meaningful
for me. I took the lenses I would have taken if no test was in the
offing and created digital images as I would have anyway.. Really, there
wasn't a planned test, I just thought it would be interesting to take a
few shots of the same subjects. as I went along.

And the other aspect was great too, as we had a wonderful trip and she
only inticated a slight impatience with the picture taking a couple of
times as I took over 280 shots in three days. And the food! WOW!

Moose