[OM] [Way OT] Off list help from Windows gearheads needed

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:54:04 -0400
I bought a Western Digital 160GB drive which I would like to use to
replace the current 80GB boot drive.  I have Partition Magic 6 and
simply partitioning and formatting a logical drive is not a problem for
me.  However, it has not been since DOS years that I have diddled with
primary partitions, boot sectors and their activation, etc.  In short, I
don't know how to copy the present boot disk onto the new disk and also
have it be bootable.

At first I was impressed that the WD drive was supplied with a utility
to do exactly that.  Attempting to run it, however, soon elicited a VC++
run time error at the point where it appeared to be about to do some
actual work.  I then went to the WD web site and downloaded the latest
version of said utility.  This did not inspire confidence either as it
informed me that there was only a single drive installed on my system.
If fact, there are three.  I uninstalled this puppy and reinstalled the
original version that was on the CD enclosed with the drive.  I figured
that by following the custom rather than standard setup path I might be
able to avoid the run time error.  It looked like everything was going
great until I encountered yet another run time error.  It would appear
that Western Digital is outsourcing software development to the
chimpanzees at the San Diego Zoo.  Perhaps the software was confused by
my having the proposed new boot drive attached temporarily as a USB drive.

So, my single button push solution to the problem has evaporated.  Can
anyone advise me of another single button push solution or tell me how
to do it with a thousand button pushes and Partition Magic 6?

For extra points, class, can you also tell me how to change the boot
drive from D:\ back to C:\.  At one time in the past the boot drive was
C:\.  However, C:\ failed one day and, in the rebuilding process, the
boot drive ended up as D:\.  Don't ask me how as I'm not quite sure.

Anyhow, if the 80GB drive is successfully copied onto the 160GB drive as
the new boot drive how do I get all those registry entries converted
from D:\ to C:\ not to mention getting the drive itself referenced as
C:\ rather than D:\?  Obviously, this needs to be done before hooking it
up as the boot drive.  But I don't think regedit is going to work on any
copy of the registry that's not from the boot drive.  Final note: There
is physically a non-bootable C:\ drive installed at the moment which I
have determined can be removed from the system without detriment to
booting from D:\.

Thanks, please reply off list.
Chuck Norcutt