[OM] Re: New to List, 300mm lens Question

Subject: [OM] Re: New to List, 300mm lens Question
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:56:01 -0700
OK, I overestimated. I was guesstimating on the conversion from
kilograms...it's only 37 1/2 pounds.

Last year I picked up a Konas 1M that was made in '67, given to the
North Koreans and was still sitting in tissue paper in its case. The
lenses that fit the Oct-18 mount on that camera aren't Zuikos by any
stretch, but the solid construction of the camera and how easy it was
to use really hooked me. Russian gear is obviously very inexpensive
because of the state of their economy. Some would say you get what you
pay for, but in this case it really seems like a good piece. It's a
copy of the old Eclair Cameflex.

Anyway, so while the stuff was still floating around I decided to go
ahead and pick up the nicer 90's vintage synch-sound model, as well.
It's a Kinor 35H. That's a copy of a Moviecam Super America (modeled
after the one the boycotting Soviets allegedly stole from NBC at the
'84 Olympics in LA). The Kinor uses much newer and nicer multicoated
super-speed lenses. It's also very, very quiet. I got it with a set of
primes, but the guy who sold it to me just got this massive zoom lens
in and I couldn't resist. I'd picked up a Pentacon adapter so I could
use the 500 f5.6...My longest prime is 200mm and I love telephoto
compression. The thought of having a fast zoom that could pull back off
someone and keep pulling back forever really appealed to me, even if
the weight is excessive. I'm sure it will take 45 minutes to rig that
lens, but it's not something I imagine I'd pull all that often.
Although I might get addicted to nauseating snap-zooms. Heh... Here's
the URL to the lens:

http://www.rafcamera.com/mcl/zoom/35opf21-1.htm