[OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:27:35 -0500
At 08:46 PM 4/28/2005, Winsor wrote:

>But no pro would opt to dump his cameras for a P&S would he/she? Why?
>Because better pictures can be taken consistently with better equipment,
>assuming the eye and skill are there which made them pros to begin with.

In general I agree . . . I wouldn't willingly give up anything I currently
have in the arsenal.  Why?  Not so much "better" photographs as broader
capability to execute what I visualize.

However, a number of years ago participated in an activity spanning a
couple months to demonstrate the point that Albert made . . . on a dare
from a friend . . . and was hamstrung by equipment limitations . . . but
not nearly so severely as a P&S might do (depends on P&S).  Found the
visualizations that readily came to mind couldn't always be executed and
had to work hard on those occasions to find a method of delivering the same
message within the camera's limits.  The exercise did broaden the mind in
spite of being occasionally frustrating.

I still bump into equipment limitations when setting up to execute the
visualized photograph . . . discovering what I have on hand cannot do it as
planned and having to work around that . . . with modification of the
original plan.

-- John Lind