[OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts
From: "BILL CLARK" <bclark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:23:44 -0400
If all my errors were just 1 stop I would quit my job...for 1 stop you can
EASILY fix a JPEG without problems...RAW is good for once you get into 3-4 stop
issues.

fact is most digital users just fire at random and pick the best one...just act
any retailer...first thing they say is "If you don't like your picture just
delete it and take it again"  Digital photog is all volume.  I personally have
seen pros (sports, wedding, etc) speak on this and yes....some shoot this
way...gotta face facts.

>>> olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx 04/28/05 20:47 PM >>>
I view it this way:  The fact that I __CAN__ save perhaps a shot that
was not perfect, gives me good enough reason to shoot raw..

You aren't complaining about that I don't think, I think your complaint
is, people think (raw & volume) compensates for good photographic
skills.  It does not.

A magazine I read 10+ years ago; they took 10 pros and gave them P&S
cameras, and 10 photo students in a college, and gave them whatever gear
they wanted.  In a blind taste test, the pros won, every single one of
them...  P&S vs a few thousand in equipment.  It's the eyeball, not the
camera that ultimately make or break the photo..

That said, if I hate myself because I underexposed a stop, and I can
save it back in raw, why not?

Waste of space?  True, but then again, if wasting 10 Gig's but the one
decisive shot is what saved, then I think it's well worth it..

Albert