[OM] Re: OM size vs small RFs, was Relative costs ...

Subject: [OM] Re: OM size vs small RFs, was Relative costs ...
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:56:07 -0400
". . . the RF trap . . ." LOL!
 In my effort to simplify/optimize my kit, I decided that my personal, carry
everywhere gear would be film based. To my eye, only dSLRs (not 'Prosumer'
cams) provide acceptable performance at >ISO 200 and I often find myself
using 800. So, why not use my dSLR? Too big and complicated! In addition,
I'm a bit of a Luddite and still like shooting film.
 Earlier this year I picked up a nice used CV R2 outfit. Excellent optical
quality, but I missed having really close, wide and relatively long options.
I asked the Rangefinder Forum (terrific group of people BTW) for suggestions
for 'Which SLR is most like a rangefinder?' The discussion was lively, very
helpful and led me to OM. As you point out, the size difference is not
really significant and I find I enjoy using it more than the RF.
 One other consideration was cost. No question that a good RF makes it
easier to focus a wide angle lens, but really good wide angle lenses can be
rather expensive. I picked up a very fine OM 24/2.8 from an OM forum member
for a fair price; an RF alternative would have cost many times more for
similar performance.
 So, I will likely sell my RF gear and enjoy using the OM kit. I could give
myself a dope slap for not getting involved sooner. The more I use the
OM-4T, the more I like it. If a dSLR had that VF, metering logic and
ergonomics, I'd buy it. In the meantime, I'll use Canon.
 my two cents worth/ScottGee1