[OM] Re: RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:32:55 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

>Thanks Moose.  Presumably you only do this when you have a problem with
>shadows or highlights such as the stamens in this photo.

Exactly. For most cases where the highlights have been lost or over
compressed in the JPEG, all that's necessary is to extract an image from
the RAW file with alterations to the As-Shot settings. Only in a few
extreme cases have I found this technique to be necessary.

>Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do to combine 2 images?

In PS, there is always one more way to skin a cat than one already know
about. My method is to select whichever part is most even using the
Magic Wand, Select by Color and/or the Lasso in one or another of its
forms. Which tool works best depends on the image. Select by Color can
be amazing for selecting things like sky or water seen through trees,
etc. I then make the selection or its inverse into a new layer and drag
it over onto the other RAW extract. In this case, it was the stamen, but
could just as easily been the petals. Sometimes feathering the selection
before creating a new layer from it works best, sometimes not. I don't
know how to say except that common sense about the nature of the
selection and experience help.

As AG outlined in his process with the lone tree image on his site, one
may also adjust each image for the area to be used from it, put it as a
new layer on the other, then selectively erase the top layer where the
characteristics of the bottom one are desired. With adjustments to the
size and hardness of the Eraser, this can become very like
burning/dodging and feel very natural to an experienced darkroom worker.

I'm sure there are other ways I don't know about yet.

Moose