[OM] Re: A battery story

Subject: [OM] Re: A battery story
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:00:20 -0700
Ralf Loi wrote:

>T18 is not supposed to be used with NiCad or NiMh.
>
>Moose
>

>I used NiCads in my T18 without problems.

The manual states unequivocally, "Power Source: Two 1.5V "AA"  penlight
batteries. (Ni-Cd batteries cannot be used.)"

Note that I didn't say "cannot" but only "are not supposed to be", thus
conveying what wisdom may be in the instructions, without passing on
their inaccurate usage.

I know from previous posts that the potential problem is due to the fact
that the internal resistance of conventional batteries is, in effect,
part of the charging circuit. Thus, as I recall, NiCad, and by
implication NiMh, batteries allow more current to flow in the charging
circuit than it was designed for. That may in turn cause overheating and
subsequent failure of part(s) in the circuit. Presumably, sporadic use
would be relatively safe and multiple flashes in quick succession would
be most dangerous.

I only use alkalines in mine. What you choose to do with yours is your
business.

Moose