[OM] Re: More on lens resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: More on lens resolution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:42:49 -0400
swisspace wrote:

> I have been following this resolution stuff with interest especially as
> I invested in a new 180f2 a couple of years ago, with the intention of
> using it on a DSLR body when the time came, so with all this talk of
> digital glass being able to resolve more lpmm I began wondering if I had
> made another of my famous mess ups in dream purchases.
>
> but it appears that the limit in measurements discussed previously may
> be the film and not the lens, okay its not an issue for me yet, but a
> few years down the line it may well be.

But the sensors are now resolving more than the film.

> link worth a read, but if I understood it correctly it says the the lens
> has no problem seeing more detail than the film - with figures of
> 650+lpmm possible from 35mm SLR lenses.
> These figures measured using a microscope on a film plane reading an in
> focus test chart.

These are aerial resolution values.  Real world values considering
reasonable contrast make most 35mm lenses perform at less than 100
lines/mm.  That's for the lens alone.  Not the system resolution which
factors in the resolution of the film.

> http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/lenslpm.html
>
> Of course it's not that simple and contrast comes in play, but my moneys
> on the old zuiko's (literally) keeping up with the modern glass for a
> while yet.

Yes, we've just seen that demonstrated with a 5 MP sensor.  What I've
been wondering is does it still hold at 8 MP.  Where does it start to
break down?

Chuck Norcutt