[OM] Re: Book idea (was: New 90/2 Macro shots by GeneW)

Subject: [OM] Re: Book idea (was: New 90/2 Macro shots by GeneW)
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:09:57 -0500
At 08:58 AM 4/17/2005, Andrew McPhee wrote (in part):

>I had thoughts about suggesting a similar project for the OM list.  Or
>maybe we could do a book of all the Olympus Odyssey photos.  Or a selection
>of the best TOPE images...
>
>I have desktop publishing experience and a copy of Adobe Pagemaker on my PC
>that needs to be used more...

I followed the link and found the book also (I'm an RF user as well).  Very
nicely done with excellent photography!

The same thought crossed my mind . . . a "dead tree" publication of the
TOPE.  Not to discourage the idea . . . but to identify some of the hurdles
. . .
One of the challenges would be rounding up the TOPE photographs with
sufficient resolution for publication.  What's on the site would not
suffice . . . it would have to be 2X to 3X greater resolution than what's
there.  Some of the photographers who contributed very early on may be
impossible to find which would mean non-inclusion and some others might
need model releases.  Limiting it to some of the TOPE photos by "selecting
the best" images would be problematic.  Who would judge which are the
"best" and how could it be done in a manner that someone whose photograph
is cut isn't miffed by it.  An alternative might be selecting specific
TOPE's (versus all of them) if the quantity of photographs must be
limited.  All but the last (making a cut) are not insurmountable, and
overall such a project is definitely something to think about.

-- John Lind