[OM] Re: Digital, etc., and going away

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, etc., and going away
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:08:18 +1000

On 15/04/2005, at 9:03 AM, Rob Harrison wrote:

> All who are even mildly inclined to agree with Walt--and _especially_
> those
> who vehemently disagree--owe it to themselves to read Wendell Berry's
> famous
> essay "Why I Am Not Going to Buy A Computer" from his book of essays
> "What
> Are PEOPLE For?" Wendell sure sounds a lot like Walt...or is it vice
> versa...?
>
> Read it...on your computer...here:
> <http://www.tipiglen.dircon.co.uk/berrynot.html>
>
> One of my absolute all-time favorite pieces of writing.

But Berry does miss a number of points - he does not really deal with
the appalling dilemma for the environmentalist of whether one works
from within the system on the grounds that it is inescapable or whether
one separates oneself from it as far as possible (i.e. voluntary
simplicity). I remember fondly meeting a Green party senator who
apologies to the meeting for attending in a suit on the grounds that
he'd just been talking to corporates who wouldn't take him seriously if
he didn't. To those who are now grunting something along the lines of
'who cares about damn tree-huggers anyway', this is one found in many
other areas of political and social activity (photography for
instance).
He also responds poorly to the humorous jibes about the "Wife Machine'
he uses instead of a computer, missing the point. The fact that she
enjoys the task and that it improves their relationship is irrelevant.
I love to write with a fountain pen, feeling the flow of sepia ink from
its 18K nib. it's a true tool to the point where it becomes invisible
as a medium between mind and paper. Unfortunately, my partner unit
doesn't have the 'type and edit; software installed so I have to then
do that bit myself into  pooter. He has a luxury not afforded to the
rest of us.
On the other hand, my spousal unit did have the 'cake baking' accessory
package fitted, which accounts for my girth, the cake crumbs in my
manuscripts and the smile on my face.
AndrewF