[OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:08:33 -0500
At 01:12 PM 4/14/2005, Walt (Luddite) Wayman wrote:

>I don't usually drive on the Interstate highways unless there's some
>urgency to get from here to there.  I am, however, eternally thankful for
>the Interstate system, because it attracts the big rigs, the motor homes,
>the hell-bent-for-leather, "got to make 800 miles today" tourists, the
>U-Haul movers, stinky busses, and all the other undesirables, keeping them
>off the "back roads" where I travel.  It may take me a little longer to
>get where I'm going, but it's a whole lot more fun, more relaxing, more
>interesting, and offers many more photographic possibilities.  I learned a
>long time ago that, as often as not, the getting there is more enjoyable
>than the being there.  That, I guess, sort of sums up my photographic
>philosophy.

Walt,
I now take back roads -- U.S. highways the NDHS replaced -- as time permits
. . . and that's cross-country.  I don't like to fly anywhere any more and
have long found commercial airports abhorrent.  That mode of travel leaves
me feeling like just I was just one more head of cattle processed by the
Big Meat Packing Plant.  Might take a train some time.  Commercial air
travel is also "island hopping" from one megalopolis to another, devoid of
everything between origin and destination.  Might as well live in a
Galapagos.  After making two Great Road Trips in 2002 and 2003 I
rediscovered what had been missing in my travels since the mid-1960's . . .
being able to "SEE" everything between origin and destination.  Now I'm
looking at it in the manner of Robert Frank's _The_Americans_ (1958) and
find the journey as important as destination.  Took much more time on the
second Great Road Trip to stop and make photographs during the trip . . .
something I wish I had done much more of during the first one.  Very much
want to do a third Great Road Trip some time this year.

-- John Lind