[OM] Re: Digital, digital, digital. Bah, humbug!

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, digital. Bah, humbug!
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:31:39 +0200
I like this list because of the diversity and wealth of in depth
knowledge, okay I am a newcomer and read a lot more than I post but I
appreciate the far superior knowledge (in most things :-) ) of list
members like walt.

BUT I am in a dilemma, I am currently hacked off for the following
reason. In the days of my OM10 and negative film all was well and good
apart from I wasn't seeing results the same as in the photograph magazines.

I switched to true OM which is okay but then I switched to kodachrome,
great now I see what I have been missing. I get a projector, fine but
its a pain to drag it out and then getting people around to share the
images becomes an event and how do I send these to my friends and relatives.

so onto next step, buy a scanner Hmm reviews on FS2700 look good, buy it
  and find out its useless, I am not seeing the images on the slides on
the screen, read research and experiment but still 6 or 7 years later
cant get a good image.

with a lot of people going digital I aquired free a colour enlarger from
a pal at work, but my wife who wants to do the developing is pregnant so
we don't think it would be good for her to play with chemicals at the
moment, plus I have  some projects more important than converting the
cellar to a darkroom at the moment, and no time to develop myself.

so recently married and with a mortgage, I don't have the disposable
income I used to, to try all options,  what then is the next step.

I decided that it must be to go digital in some way by either buying a
new scanner (but having been bitten once I am wary) or getting a DSLR.
Surely a scanner is classed as digital or has the acceptance now grown
so that it is not really thought of in that manner.

If its the scanner route then it will be the 5400 or the 5400 II
depending upon the II reviews, because of my kodachromes.

If its digital SLR then it will probably be an E-1 or E-300 for the
shaking sensor. (although I haven't fully ruled out the C*non 350)

I do have a medium format kit, but have never used it much so was
thinking of selling that kit and getting one or other of the above.

So cutting a long dilemma short, walt don't go I need all sides of the
argument to make sure I take the right direction in life :-)