[OM] Re: travel kit

Subject: [OM] Re: travel kit
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:43:50 -0600
>I don't know how people get their film hand-checked. When I ask, they look
>at me like I just fell off the turnip truck.

 Well, not quite hand inspection, but on our way back through SE Asia, we had a
lot of little flights, and while theoretically film is good for a lot of that
sort of x-raying, I wanted to avoid it as far as possible.

 So what I'd do is I had my big clear ziploc bag full of film (not in the
little pots, just exposed rolls) -- I'd walk up to the x-ray machine, dump
backpack on the conveyor belt, walk over to the metal detector gate, put my
ziploc bag of film _on top of_ the x-ray machine, walk through the metal
detector, pick the bag of film up, and then wander down to collect my backpack
from the other end of the conveyor belt.

 I never had anyone object to this -- but then again, I was only doing this in
non-English-speaking countries, and I reckon being obviously a tourist that
doesn't speak the local language means that the person manning the x-ray
machine looks at me, thinks "hm. their bag has camera kit in there. That's a
lot of film. So far, it all makes sense. And if I try to get them to put the
film through the x-ray machine, I'll have to deal with some idiot foreigner who
won't speak Malay/Vietnamese/whatever and explain what's going on." and lets me
go because it's easier..

 I did manage to get film hand-inspected once at Heathrow, but that was at a
time of day with no queues so they had the time; otherwise, every
English-speaking place has just said "no, film goes through there" and that's
been that.

 -- dan