[OM] Re: Is OM Zuiko lens resolution enough for the E-300?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is OM Zuiko lens resolution enough for the E-300?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:53:21 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

>>If I am completely off the deep end or completely uninformed
>>about the
>>picture producing quality of today's digital machinery vis a
>>vis what what
>>obtainable with a piece of Wetzlar or Zuiko glass can someone
>>please come to my rescue.
>>

>Yes, I'm a little puzzled that Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc., knew
>nothing about making sharp lenses until recently.

Might I suggest that a couple of assumptions in that sentence may not be
entirely correct? :-)

Although largely invisible to us folks living in the manual focus world,
there have been continuing large improvements in optical glass,
production techniques for aspheric lens surfaces and mechanical
engineering over the last several years.  Where one aspheric surface
and/or LD glass element were a big deal in later MF lenses and allowed
significant improvements, many reasonably prices current lenses have
multiple instances of different 'exotic' glasses and aspheric surfaces.
It's not that previous engineers didn't know how, in theory, to make
sharper lenses, but that they didn't have the technology.

It is simply easier and cheaper to design a lens to resolve xxx lp/mm
over a 22.5mm image circle than over a 43.3mm image circle (4/3 is only
27% the area of a 35mm frame) while maintaining the same quality of
other lens characteristics.

Moose