[OM] Re: Played w/ OM Adapter (was "Re: played w/ the 20D)

Subject: [OM] Re: Played w/ OM Adapter (was "Re: played w/ the 20D)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:52:04 -0700
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Plus, with the free OM adapter, the Zuikos live.  Yeah!  And
>yes, I know that the Kindai adapter will allow one to use
>them elsewhere where the factor is more like 1.6, but Oly
>includes a guide as to the sweet stops for each lens as a
>starting-point.  Perhaps someone has come up with a guide
>like that for use on a Canyon, but I haven't heard of it.
>In fairness, those stops are usually f4-5.6, but there are a
>couple surprises here and there.

I wonder how much of that list is based on lens/sensor imaging
performance and how much on exposure system performance.

I can certainly say that good image results are possible on the 300D
outside the range of apertures recommended for the E-1. As I posted some
time age, the exposure results with a 50/1.4 on the 300D tend toward
overexposure at wider apertures, and more so in Auto than Manual Modes
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>. I believe C.H. said
the opposite was true of the E-1, with OM lenses tending to underexpose
at wider apertures. Unfortunately, no one has duplicated my simple test
with using an E-1.....

So I think one may find that all that is required to go outside at least
some of the recommended boundaries may be exposure compenssation, easy
enough with the histogram as guide. Certainly it's true for the 300D and
I imagine it might be true for the E-1.

>Unlooked for outcome for an unbeliever like me, who thought use of the film
>lenses was probably a non-starter.
>
>Also, perhaps I am just lucky (and I do try to be lucky), or
>perhaps all the DSLRs are equally good in this department,
>but I am delighted to find that manual focusing is not a
>problem at all (or at least not any harder, for me, than
>focusing on a 1-4 screen), even stopped down to f4 or f5.6.
>I miss the x-13 screen for this purpose, but given the
>benefits, I will cope nicely.

It seems to be an individual thing. Some people can't use any of them
and others find some of them fine. Everybody uses the 300D as the
example of the worst that can be. I find it just fine for manual focus
in outdoor light from maybe 35mm up.

>Shooting a Zuiko on an E-1 was a little like a waking dream.
>Something that I wanted that wasn't supposed to be.

You just have to have faith!

Moose