[OM] Played w/ OM Adapter (was "Re: played w/ the 20D)

Subject: [OM] Played w/ OM Adapter (was "Re: played w/ the 20D)
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:49:17 -0500
Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > I too am tempted by Oly's offerings. Gonna sit this out
> for
> > now (not
> > having the wherewithal to purchase such toys make it a
> lot
> > easier ;) )
>
> I was in the same boat. Finally when the cash was
> available the
> decision was made very easy by the fact that I was able
> to snag
> the E1 with 14-54 for about a grand. The 20D, body only,
> is
> substantially higher.  Put it in perspective this way,
> the
> E1/14-54 was about the same price as the Digital Rebel.
>
> Duh.
>
> AG

Plus, with the free OM adapter, the Zuikos live.  Yeah!  And
yes, I know that the Kindai adapter will allow one to use
them elsewhere where the factor is more like 1.6, but Oly
includes a guide as to the sweet stops for each lens as a
starting-point.  Perhaps someone has come up with a guide
like that for use on a Canyon, but I haven't heard of it.
In fairness, those stops are usually f4-5.6, but there are a
couple surprises here and there.  Unlooked for outcome for
an unbeliever like me, who thought use of the film lenses
was probably a non-starter.

Also, perhaps I am just lucky (and I do try to be lucky), or
perhaps all the DSLRs are equally good in this department,
but I am delighted to find that manual focusing is not a
problem at all (or at least not any harder, for me, than
focusing on a 1-4 screen), even stopped down to f4 or f5.6.
I miss the x-13 screen for this purpose, but given the
benefits, I will cope nicely.

Shooting a Zuiko on an E-1 was a little like a waking dream.
Something that I wanted that wasn't supposed to be.

A couple early offerings:

My view from the deck:
http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/willows.jpg
= E-1 w/ Zuiko 50/1.2 @f4, ISO 100, auto WB, cropped: RAW
conversion in PS, sat +20, USM

My bad cat:
http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/shadrack.jpg
= E-1 w/ Zuiko 90/2 f5/6. ISO 800, auto WB (under tungsten),
cropped (about 25% of original capture), RAW conversion in
PS, USM, pass through Noiseware CE

It's going to be 70 degrees F today, it's gorgeous out
there, and Olympus rules.  Bang my head on the door, life is
good.

Joel W.